Today, we got the final floor plans and elevations from J. He and his assistant, who we'll call L, made some minor tweaks to the outside of the house to make it flow and tie together a little better. We were going for a little more of a craftsman style, and he made some tweaks that made it happen. I think it's fair to say that we love what he did.
J's got the plans out for bidding, and L is going to put together a couple exterior color options for us. We should have J's budget number in about a week and a half. Silly J, I've already got the budget number. :)
We're about 30 - 40% moved (I'd guess), and we're going to finish it up this weekend. We close on this house on 6/1, and have three days after to be out, but we're going to see if we can't surprise the buyer at close, and hand over the keys.
The journey continues......
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Tonight, J stopped by with the revised floor plans and front elevation. We liked what we saw - no changes.
He's going to get it converted to prints, and we'll see the whole package around the end of next week.
At that point, he'll send it out for bids, and I'll finalize the financing.
We're on schedule to have a hole dug around 6/1.
WooHoo!
He's going to get it converted to prints, and we'll see the whole package around the end of next week.
At that point, he'll send it out for bids, and I'll finalize the financing.
We're on schedule to have a hole dug around 6/1.
WooHoo!
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Yesterday morning, we took a look at the completed floor plans and elevations from J (the builder). Once again, he pretty much nailed what we were looking for.
However, after some discussion and research, we've decided to change course. We looked at the neighboring houses in the development we'll be building in, and the houses to the left and right of us are ~2,000 and 1,528 square feet, respectively. Our plans came to ~2,300 square feet - we didn't want to be in the position of being the largest house in the immediate area -not a very wise financial move.
What we're now going to do is keep our main floor plan, and build three bedrooms, a full bath, a family room, and storage into the basement, instead of putting bedrooms on a second level. We're also going to keep the elevations (with the exception of removing the second level.) Besides being a better fit for the neighborhood, this allows better HVAC into the bedrooms, keeps the bedrooms quieter, and gives us a lot more living space for less money.
We'll get revised plans next week, allow a second week for revisions, a third/fourth for bids, and will likely break ground around Memorial Day. J, with a straight face, quoted us three months for completion - we'll see if he can deliver.
The journey continues.......
However, after some discussion and research, we've decided to change course. We looked at the neighboring houses in the development we'll be building in, and the houses to the left and right of us are ~2,000 and 1,528 square feet, respectively. Our plans came to ~2,300 square feet - we didn't want to be in the position of being the largest house in the immediate area -not a very wise financial move.
What we're now going to do is keep our main floor plan, and build three bedrooms, a full bath, a family room, and storage into the basement, instead of putting bedrooms on a second level. We're also going to keep the elevations (with the exception of removing the second level.) Besides being a better fit for the neighborhood, this allows better HVAC into the bedrooms, keeps the bedrooms quieter, and gives us a lot more living space for less money.
We'll get revised plans next week, allow a second week for revisions, a third/fourth for bids, and will likely break ground around Memorial Day. J, with a straight face, quoted us three months for completion - we'll see if he can deliver.
The journey continues.......
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Well, there's a 'sold' sign out in front of the house now, so reality is setting in.
We've (well Katie's done 90% of it) been packing and moving some of our stuff into a storage unit. It's looking like we're going to try to move out on Memorial Day weekend, or thereabouts.
It looks like we're meeting with J (the builder) later this week. He's got the floor plan for the second floor done, and is working on the elevations.
The journey continues.....
We've (well Katie's done 90% of it) been packing and moving some of our stuff into a storage unit. It's looking like we're going to try to move out on Memorial Day weekend, or thereabouts.
It looks like we're meeting with J (the builder) later this week. He's got the floor plan for the second floor done, and is working on the elevations.
The journey continues.....
Thursday, April 23, 2009
It's been a busy week!
We had inspections last night, the termite inspector this morning, and a meeting late this afternoon.
J (the builder) and L (his designer-type person) had the preliminary floor plan for the main floor done (we're building a story-and-a-half), and they pretty much nailed what we were looking for. We've got a couple revisions to do, and J has to lay out the upper level and elevations. We're meeting mid-week next week to look over those.
The journey continues.......
We had inspections last night, the termite inspector this morning, and a meeting late this afternoon.
J (the builder) and L (his designer-type person) had the preliminary floor plan for the main floor done (we're building a story-and-a-half), and they pretty much nailed what we were looking for. We've got a couple revisions to do, and J has to lay out the upper level and elevations. We're meeting mid-week next week to look over those.
The journey continues.......
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Things Are Moving Along.......
Whew.
This is moving faster than I ever thought it would. We've got an inspection scheduled for tomorrow night, and a preliminary close date of 6/1, with the buyer taking possession on the fourth day after close.
We meet with J (our builder) on Thursday at 5:00 to take a look at the plans.
I'm not working this Friday, so I'll be working on renting a storage unit and starting to move some of our stuff.
I'm not sure what this means for our scheduled vacation in South Carolina in mid-June. I guess that'll depend on what our preliminary building schedule looks like - I'm leaning toward cancelling it, but we'll see.
The journey continues......
This is moving faster than I ever thought it would. We've got an inspection scheduled for tomorrow night, and a preliminary close date of 6/1, with the buyer taking possession on the fourth day after close.
We meet with J (our builder) on Thursday at 5:00 to take a look at the plans.
I'm not working this Friday, so I'll be working on renting a storage unit and starting to move some of our stuff.
I'm not sure what this means for our scheduled vacation in South Carolina in mid-June. I guess that'll depend on what our preliminary building schedule looks like - I'm leaning toward cancelling it, but we'll see.
The journey continues......
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)


